How do you know if you have sensitive skin?
You need to look out for certain specific signs and symptoms of sensitive skin, such as:
- Redness and irritation
- Peeling and coarseness.
- Burning and stinging
4 causes of sensitive skinAccording to some experts, sensitive skin derives from a compromised skin barrier function. This alteration causes the skin to react to stimuli that it otherwise wouldn’t, such as:
- Environmental factors: the cold and the wind can cause skin to sensitise. But so can heat and the sun. Indeed, those with lighter skin tend to burn more easily than those with darker skin. This is why it’s important to protect your skin properly from heat and the sun.
- Irritant substances such as aggressive surfactants, alcohol, or fragrances which can be contained in certain medications, cleansers, soaps, and cosmetic products.
- Psychological factors: skin can sensitise in reaction to anxiety or stress.
- Hormonal changes: certain periods (such as during the menstrual cycle) can lead to hormonal changes that influence skin sensitization.
Skin sensitisation can also result from skin conditions such as eczema, atopic dermatitis, or seborrheic dermatitis. In such cases, you must consult a medical specialist.
Tips for a beauty routine when you have sensitive skin
You should use specific products formulated with few ingredients in all phases of your dermocosmetic routine if you have sensitive skin.
- Washing: it’s essential to wash correctly if you want to be easy on your skin. This involves not only the choice of cleanser, but also the right use of water. Hard water- that is, water with high concentrations of minerals- can increase the disorder of your skin barrier, and thus sensitisation of your skin. You should also choose cleansers that won’t damage your skin barrier and that guarantee highest standards of skin tolerance and safety. They should thus be not highly foaming, without aggressive surfactants, and tested for sensitive skin.
- Moisturisation: moisturise sensitive skin with specific products. You should choose face or body creams that are fragrance free, and free of aggressive surfactants or alcohol- these substances can further sensitise your skin.
If you’re looking for a specific cream for sensitive skin, learn more about our Ceramol 311 range of products for both face and body. They protect, moisturize, and soothe all skin types- even the most delicate, such as that of children. Because the contain balanced epidermal lipids and lack allergenic ingredients, our Ceramol 311 products restore and protect the skin barrier.